Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Pest of a Test!


The new citizen test aimed to ensure Australia achieves the right balance between diversity and integration of people hoping to become Australian, according to Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews. I think that’s great! The country needs nothing more than balance within society but can a citizen test achieve this? Can a question and answer test really educate contending Australian citizens about Australian lifestyle and culture. I believe only to a certain degree, if not at all. What a shame. Kevin Andrews must of lost sleep constructing the test.

The citizen test boasts essential Australian values every aspiring citizen must embrace, but after reading the questions, the test does not reflect true Australian values at all. It is more like a history examination than a cultural one. As a Bachelor of Arts Graduate (majoring in English and History), I am very aware of the importance of history. We should never dismiss the influences of the past but today we are in such different times, that knowing the Prime Minster of 100 years ago does not benefit our daily existence whatsoever.

Why the test at all? Will it really help migrants properly and comfortably adjust into Australian lifestyle? My guess is no. I am moving to London next year. If I am required to complete a citizen test upon arrival, the last thing I am going to be thinking about when I am trying to find a job and somewhere to live is questions from that test.

In a report from Green Left Online by Graham Matthews, Australian citizenship is described by Andrew Robb, parliamentary secretary for immigration and multicultural affairs, as a privilege, not a right. I totally agree with this. The report is adamant in the push for Australian values, describing them as central elements to immigration principles. I am adamant on Australian values as well. I love my country and the freedoms it offers me but if asked to complete this citizen test to verify my worthiness as an Australian citizen I would do nothing but laugh.

The test is in no way a reflection of Australian values which is a shame because those aspiring to be Australian citizens will think us so dull and detached after taking the test.

1 comment:

katherine said...

Julz, i have to agree with you. The idea of a citizens test is a great idea as long as it apreciates the multicultural and diverse nature of Australia. It is all very well creating a test that seems perfect in theory however pragmatically speaking, does not relate to anyone. However a test that exerts values and beliefs that i can actually relate to would be much more benefical and successful, in emphasising Australia's true colours.